Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Motivation

Two years ago a person very close to me found out he was sick. This news hit him and his family hard. A new father with two small daughters, a wife and a thriving business, bad news was not something he was used too, much less something so personal. As personal as you can get, this was his life.

He was the athlete, the one that could do anything he tried on the first try. Not only accomplishing but doing it well, having corporate sponsorships as a teenager was not a dream or a challenge it was his reality. He lived a charmed life, still does.

Recently, in the past year he has become victorious over his battle with the debilitating disease that has tried to slow him down.

The great thing about the human brain, it can and relearn thing, but in the mean time. No running, no bike riding, no mountain climbing, snowboarding and wakeboarding are like jumping back 20 years. Or as he told me, fast forward to being an 80 year old person in a body that looks 33, but acts 80. Can you imagine going to bed one night and waking up the next day feeling like you aged 50 years?

Neither can I

However; What I can do is pick up where he left off. I may not be as athletic, but I can sure as hell try.

That is my motivation, to do because others can not (especially someone I love).

2 comments:

Happy Sock said...

Love a good story! More good vibes out to him!

Sonal Modisette said...

ditto on the good vibes to your friend - I can't imagine. your post has motivated me too... thanks!