Saturday, August 1, 2009

Food Ramble

In order to get out, enjoy the sunny weather and do as little walking as possible (because I am still recovering from my middle of the dawn, burn of frustration energy up the incline last week--new PR 48:12)

I decided to peddle my bike downtown to see the movie “Food, Inc.”

I knew this was a documentary on out food in this country and how it is produced. Being that since I went on the macro biotic diet when I was 19 for a short period of time (I missed dairy and cold no longer resist the call of cheese) and ever since been very interested in food, the decline of our culture when it comes to processed food and convenience. Also being a vegetarian, err I mean an “Lacto, ovo, Pescatarian” (if you want/need the correct label)---translation: I eat no meat other than fish, however I do eat dairy products and eggs…and really? Do you really care? Probably not…

I make a personal serious effort to avoid fast food, “chemical foods” and process foods in general, but I will also be the first to admit, I love a Taco Bell bean burrito from time to time and Kraft mac and cheese IS my favorite comfort food (soon to be replaced by Jan’s homemade mac and cheese which I was recently schooled in the art of preparing that pan of delicious goodness).

I may have strict food ‘rules’ for myself, but I will never tell someone else how to eat, I don’t care if you like high fructose corn syrup or you like to eat hamburger at every meal, to each their own. Heck, I LOVE sugar. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Don’t even get near me with Sweet N low, or Splenda, I want good, old sugar!

That is where this movie lost me, I found it interesting the politics and the corporate control over our farmers. There was a level of guilt in the movie to the audience, man, had I been a carnivore. I would have felt awful walking out of the theater. As it was I already felt like a crappy American, buying , my food from the grocer, bananas from Chili, tomatoes from not here, year round. Without blinking an eye. I should have planted that garden I meant to this year, I should learn to can food…Whatever, I still like bananas in February, and Tomatoes in January…

However, there were some interesting points made in the movie and I did learn something. Like in the state I live, Colorado, it is a FELONY apparently to speak negatively against any meat produced in this state. Huh?

Really?

So the fact I have always said Greeley stinks like ass because of Monfort because Monfort stinks…
They labeled it the ‘Vegi-slander laws”
I need to research that some more. Because if I am going to jail by the meat police I need to know if it is because I choose not to eat meat, or if I insult meat in some way.
How does one go about insulting meat? Say it’s momma was a whore?
Hmmmm
As I rode my bike away from the theater I thought, “why am I feeling crappy, I eat healthy, I ride my bike as much as possible to avoid driving my car, plus it is fun, I try to be a good person. I am happy, nice, honest person…”
I turned the corner to realize there was a fireman party for the neighborhood…What? Firemen? In short sleeved shirts, serving cake? YAY!

What movie?

No comments: