Friday, August 7, 2009

How the World Turns, and Turns

When you think you have something to worry about, look at someone else’s life and listen to their worries. They make yours seem so much less.

This past weekend my father called me from ‘The Twin Cities’ (Minneapolis/St. Paul). I assumed he was just up there visiting family. He called to console me about some bad news I had gotten at work (more to come on that when I have definite news). Turns out he was hanging out in a hospital with his brother and sister becoming a human pin cushion, seeing if he is an acceptable kidney donor for his brother.
If all goes well, next spring my father may be working with one less kidney and my uncle may have one perfectly good functioning one, chillin back on the beach at his home in Puerto Rico..
This will all happen after ski season of course. My father may be selfless enough to give a kidney, but don’t take away his passion of skiing. That is going too far, a man has to have his limits

At the same time as I am having this conversation with my dad, my best friend was visiting her mom for her birthday, while her mother is in a battle with the Big C.

All the while other family members and people I love are all battling their own wars with illness, disease, addiction and heartbreak.

Depressing?

Na, I am fortunate to have all these people in my life, only a phone call or a short visit away. We certainly laugh, cry and enjoy every day we have together. Because that is the thing about life, No one gets out alive.

I may have some big life changes lurking, but for now I have my health, happiness, and an abundance of friends and family that love and support me. Not to mention a crazy dog a homicidal cat that provides endless hours of entertainment.

Stay tuned for the next episode…

No comments: