Thursday, May 28, 2009

Tonight: PUNK ROCKS! (and a peek into a past life…)


The Vandals at Red Rocks…along with The Offspring and others

The Vandals: Last time I saw them perform, was at Penny Lane coffee house in Boulder Co in 1998. It was a small punk rock show. Babes in Toyland opened for them.

That was along time ago. Also a long time ago I was a teenager living in a college town with not a lot to do. So a bunch of us would “produce” small punk rock shows. My part of the production process was small. I was in charge of copying off copies of the fliers and distribution.

My step father had an insurance office and I had a key and access to a lot of paper (uh, sorry Larry—If you are reading this now. I guess this is one of those childhood secrets I just let loose. I wasn’t REALLY doing homework in your office all those evenings--I am busted)

Anyways, I digress. We had a lot of small garage type punk bands perform at our shows. Many faded away over time but a few actually made it “big” – The Offspring was one of those bands. I have not seen them perform since they were playing for us and 50 of our “friends” we charged $4 to get in the door, the venue was a vacant office space we rented for the evening next door to Front Range Records on College Ave. Some of the other bands that played for us in those years: Social Joke, Libido Boys, Green Day, 7Seconds, No Doubt, All, Descendants, and many many more…

There are lots of stories and fun times from those years…Someday I will write them all down along with the bands that I met, listened too and drove around to and from the gig’s in my Blue VW Rabbit…Good times (Nuclear mom—you may need to help me with that…Since my memory is shady…I was not kind to my mind/body in those years)

As for tonight…I am excited to relive a little of my youth in a MUCH larger Venue…and I doubt I will be anywhere near the mosh pit. Instead, I will be that “old person’ the kids will wonder where I could have ever heard of such punk bands…oh if they only knew…

1 comment:

Nuclear Mom said...

Fun! Would love to see the Vandals.

My favorite was paying $4 to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1988 in Greeley. I scrounged quarters for that one.