Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend Recap (Long)

Memorial Day weekend had plans for one adventure, in return I had many I did not plan on. This blog will come across as a montage of personal accomplishments, reuniting old friends, being true to myself and my family.

It started early on Thursday evening in my home town, visiting with my parents and my old buddy (BC) at one of our old college haunts.



Funny how coming home can feel just like that. Across the bar as I waited for BC to join me I recognized a face but could not put a place with it. Then it dawned on me, it was Suzy…Suzy who taught me to tap dance to the Beastie Boys while we were both part of the dance department at CSU (talk about some shuffle ball change…). A few moments later, another old college friend (Kimberly) came in and sat right next to me at the bar. I have not seen Kimberly since we celebrated my college graduation at this same bar in 12 years ago…(really? That long ago? Scarey!) Kimberly had no idea who she sat next too, to her she was sitting next to some random stranger. I looked at her and said “Hey lady!” She looked at me with a blank look, then she recognized me, followed by a scream and a hug that pretty much tackled me off my seat.


After spending some hours in Elliots, BC and I did what we do well, walk around old town FTC and discuss all the changes in life we have experienced over the years and plans we have for the future. Finally long after my bed time, BC and I hugged, departed our separate ways while I peddled away on my bike I yelled across old town square ‘I love you!!!’ to hear a reply on the other side of the Square ‘I love you too!!!’ Some things just feel right. The love we have for each other is completely plutonic and a special bond we share as surviving our adolescence and early 20’s together. Also, it is when I am with BC I am reminded of all the crazy stuff we DID survive. For instance, once in an adrenaline rush I lifted my car to save his life (so I thought—he really wasn’t under the car when it fell off the jack)…True it was a Honda CRX, but still, I tore every muscle in my body for him. That is another story all together…

The next morning I got up early to go on a road bike ride with my dad and one of his cycling buddies. We met up at the Jiff Store, road “My Nemesis” hill around the south end of the reservoir to Horsetooth Park and back to the Jiff store, where my dad and his friend loaded up the car and I opted to ride my bike home, making a small detour on the way.

I hate this hill!!! Our relationship started early when I was a kid and tried to tackle it on my dirt bike…Ever since I get a huge sense of accomplishment every time I get to the top…sometimes I find myself yelling “Spank that, hill”—it’s kinda weird I know…


While on my way to old town, I chased my own train…It’s not the Iron Horse, but it was as close as I would get to riding against a train on Memorial Day weekend :)


On the way home I stopped by Kansas City Kitty, a very cool little shop owned by my childhood friend Chip, his wife Christi and her business partner. If you ever find yourself in Fort Fun you MUST stop in and see them. They have a very cool little shop full of fun, lovely stuff

After I got home and changed out of my lovely spandex I took off to the North to Cheyenne, Wyoming to take advantage of Sierra Trading Post’s Memorial Day sale.

After giving my credit card a workout in Wyoming I headed home to watch my niece graduate from my alma matter (FCHS). Followed by a wonderful dinner with my parents.

After dinner, when I was getting ready to retire for the evening I got a text message from another old friend who lives in Phoenix, Arizona. He and his family were passing through Colorado Springs the next night and they asked if they could stay at my house.

Uh sure…I headed home on Saturday to frantically prepare my house for three house guests I was not prepared for. The evening was spent telling stories, new and old, catching up and eating pizza. Also, I made them take the bottle of Jagermeiser that was left in my freezer after his last visit over three years ago…

Speaking of Pizza, on my way home on Saturday I discovered Abo’s is now in Loveland!!! Abo’s was my favorite pizza in my youth. It required a drive to Boulder’s Pearl Street mall to be able to abide. There were many afternoons missed of school for Abo’s pizza…



Sunday I finally got some time to myself. Fun Tina and I headed to Territory Days and were rained into sitting in Meadow Muffins and observing from a far, with cocktails in hand.

Monday I enjoyed a Rockies game with my brother, sister in law and two wonderful nieces.

Coors field pic taken by Hailey

Coors Field pic taken by Natalie


Natalie and I

Some serious baseball fans

Hailey and I

Me and my two favorite little princesses

What an amazing weekend!!!

2 comments:

Nuclear Mom said...

Fun weekend! Love the update! The girls are too cute.

And umm... Abo's in Loveland?!?! Yay!

Vargasgirl said...

YES!!! I was so excited to see Abo's in Loveland. The pizza is EXACTLY like Boulders. Next time you come to visit we will HAVE to go there :)