Friday, August 22, 2008

Random Topic for Discussion


Yesterday in a weekly staff meeting we had an interesting topic of discussion. See, once a week my team of 5 will get a room, we address agenda topics, issues with our account and other work related matters, and the last 30 minutes or left over time we sometimes go off on strange conversation tangents since it is the one time during the week we are away from our desks, computers and daily work. In the spring time we would discuss gardening tips , in the winter, winter driving skills, who knows where these discussions may lead. It is always interesting, random, unplanned and I feel like it builds a personal team rapport. We get to know each other outside of our work titles. Yesterday was no different.

One person made comment that they had to go to the doctor in the afternoon and they (jokingly) stated the doctor may tell them they only have 6 months to live.

This brought up the question: “if you were told you only had 6 months to live, would you come to work the next day?”

I was surprised by the response. I was the only person that stated, not only NO, but HELL NO! If I was told I had 6 months to live, the last thing I would do would be spend my last days in the office. No offense co-workers, love ya, but I gotta go.

The arguments most people on my team had revolved around families and they needed to support their families in their dying months. My thought was, even more of a reason to not be at work, spend time with your families.

I guess I think differently than most people.

1 comment:

Nuclear Mom said...

Only to tell the people I work with who care about me, get my stuff and transfer my projects to someone else!