Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Homemade Gifts for Small People



Approximately 4.5 years ago my best friend told me she and her husband were expecting their first child. I wanted to make something special for her and her new baby.

I started cross stitching

A few months later my Carpal Tunnel issues got to be unbearable. I traded in stitching for massage therapy, accupunture, and physical therapy, and eventually dual surgerys on my hands (but hat is a WHOLE other story)

I recuperated

I started stitching again.

My friend had another baby.

Her son is now 4 and her daughter is now past her first birthday.

The gifts have changed some.

This weekend I presented her with her baby’s gifts. A yellow Super-hero Cape for her oldest. The completed baby quilt for her youngest.

I was told her son’s favorite color was yellow, and unbeknownst to me just the week before he had been asking his mom what he could use as a cape.

The night that she got home and gave her son the gift I had made for him I got the best phone call I have had in a long time. A sweet, excited voice on the other end of my phone filled with excitement telling me how much he loves his super-hero cape and now he can fly. I asked if he was ready to rid the world of all evil now that he was an official super-hero. He responded “no, I think I’ll just fly around”.



I like that, not all super hero's need to save the world, We need some to just fly around...