Friday, December 11, 2009

Adventures in Tea: Chia



A few years ago I began a love affair with Chia tea, after buying the concentrate in stores and making it at home I knew there had to be a way to make it from 'scratch', with fresh spices, and no unknown additives and processed sugars.

Then one day one of my oldest girlfriends (not by age, but more diration of our friendship. Although I think she is a couple hours older than me--among other things we share a birthday--but that is a whole other post, isn't it?), Leslie, gave me this recipe.

I love her for it.

I love her for lots of things, but this Chia Recipe...well I am tickled pink over it.

It is better than any Oregon, Tazo, Big Train or any other mass produced Chia mix out there.

Plus, with this recipe you can add the sweetener of your choice. I prefer Agave Nectar. But if you want to add plain old sugar or honey that is fine also.

Ingredients include:
• 15 whole cloves
• 20 black peppercorns
• 3 sticks of cinnamon
• 20 whole cardamon pods (split the pods first)
• 8 fresh ginger root slices (1/4" thick, no need to peel)
• 1/2 teaspoon black tea leaves
• Milk and Honey to taste

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add Cloves and keep boiling while you add other spices (peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger.

Let boil for 30 minutes, then let sit and simmer for 2-3 hours.

When ready to serve, remove from heat, add tea. Let cool.

To create Chia Latte. In a saucepan, mix equal parts tea and milk. Sweeten with honey/sugar/agave nectar to taste. Heat to a frothy boil while whisking.

Tea can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Nuclear Mom said...

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-)

Unknown said...

I can attest that Tanya's homemade chai is delish!