Friday, January 29, 2010

RIP Mr. Salinger

Growing up reading was not my favorite thing to do. With a speech impediment, and many years of speech therapy, reading out loud was my nemesis. Reading felt like a punishment. I hated it. Having hated reading out loud, lead to not enjoying reading at all.

Then one day in junior high school (somewhere around 12-13 years old) I saw a book in the library titled “Catcher in the Rye”. The title caught my eye and I ignored it.

The next week, while walking home from school, my best friend told me in her Advanced English class, (unlike me, she liked to read). They were reading “Catcher in the Rye”. The next day I walked into the library, and walked out with the book. I didn’t necessarily check it out. Don’t ask me why. I had a strange rebellious streak.

I read the book over the course of a weekend and now our 2.5 mile walks home were consumed of talking and quoting from this book, discussions of what Holden Caulfield would be like in person and how we both dreamed of meeting a boy like that. When other girls were oogling boys in school, we both developed huge crushes on Holden Caulfield. I still have a strange school-girl crush on this fictional character. I read that stolen copy over a dozen times before it found a new owner in my collegiate years. Ironically it was stolen from me. A book that good tends to grow legs.

I believe karma has paid me back for my stealing of my original copy. I have since bought more than a half-dozen copies of this book as gifts for my nieces and nephews and anyone that has ever said they have not read this book. It is a must read.

Because of “Catcher in the Rye”, I learned that reading can be enjoyable and sometimes I can relate to the characters. Because of J.D Salingers writing, I developed a love affair with reading.

RIP Holden Caulfield. I hope they throw you in a river or something and no-one brings you flowers when you’re dead. Who wants flowers when their dead anyways? Nobody.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with you.

Valerie said...

Tanya

I completely understand. I first read this book when I was about to go into the 6th grade, and boys were just becoming interesting and not yucky. Holden Caufield was my first crush, too.
Well, after John Cleese, anyway.