Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2:30:12




Wednesday, January 13. Thanks to “Travelocity last minute deals” I decide to go to Phoenix and run in my second Rock and Roll half marathon.

Thank you to my high school girlfriend Kara for registering me considering my plane landed as the expo was closing.

Here is the report:

Coral #15. These people look serious, they are all talking about their pace times, what their averages are…I am thinking I am in trouble, I know my overall best times and I have seen my pace from Rock Canyon before but I can only remember seeing high numbers from the fall series like 14 minute miles…When did I see that? Was it Palmer Park? Was it yesterday ? Uh oh, this could get ugly. Wait, this a smooth, flat road, no ice, no trail, no wall to climb up, no river to cross, or run up for that matter. I am at sea-level. I have oxygen. I’ll be fine. I feel good, I can do this. I will do this. I know the course and I know I am more prepared this time than last time I ran this event. I will do great. Plus the weather is ideal, high supposed to be in the low 60’s, overcast, a slight breeze. Who could ask for better conditions?

Mile 1- Seriously? This is great! I feel great! That was a fast mile. It is usually in the first mile I think, “I am not hydrated enough”, or “maybe I shouldn’t have eaten oatmeal for breakfast”. Or “ That wine was not such a good idea last night.” Not today. I am in perfect condition I feel like.
Oh but I do have to pee. There is a porta potty station at the 1 mile marker with a ridiculous line, yeah not going to waste time there.

Mile 2- still feeling good, oh yeah, I still gotta pee, but that line was too long, there has to be more on course.

Mile 2.5 Oh I REALLY gotta go, I see a Taco Bell and I run in, there is a large black woman cleaning the dining room. As I come in the door she yells at me “You go Girl! You got this! You keep running” I laughed thinking that she was going to scold me for using the restroom, instead the woman’s is occupied and I see the men’s is open. I tell her I am going in, she says she will make sure no man comes in while I use the restroom. As I finish and run out she yells again “you go get ‘em girl!” (total restroom break is 2 minutes, much better than waiting in line). As I get back on course the 2:30 pace sign passes me. Damn, I want to stay in front of the pace sign. So I slowly work my way back up and in front of the sign that will prove to be my race nemesis. I vow to not let the sign pass me again.

Mile 3- look here is the 5k marker.
Last time I ran this event, I remember feeling pains in my ankle and knee around here. I feel Awesome! My knees are happy and my ankle is content. This is GREAT!

Mile 4—1/4 of the way done, well kinda, just coming up, I got this.

Mile 5- Sweet! 5 miles! Seriously, I am thinking Oxygen is an amazing thing, who knew?

Mile 6- I guess I am good, because I am not remembering Mile 6-7-8-9.
The great thing about this event is the music and the bands that are plating along the course. Most are ok. However around mile 8 there was a band that played the worst rendition of “I Shot the Sherriff” by Bob Marley. Think of a Thrash Metal band coving Reggae, yah, doesn’t work so well. I then think “Hey, they never said they were GOOD bands along the course.”

Mile 9- A lady I holding a sign saying “beer in just 4 more miles”. That was way before Mile 9. She lied! Mile 9 is here. 4 more miles. The thought of beer is not a good thought at all. Still it is something to think about. Mmmm, beeeerr. See, I almost forgot I was running.

Mile 10—Okay, I am feeling it, still good over all, but the little aches are popping up.
At some point I was thinking of a quote I saw on a friends blog, it stated “the first half you run with your legs the second you run with your heart.” It was in reference to Ultra-marathons, but I could relate, I needed this inspiration. I am feeling good, but not going to lie. I am feeling it and I am now reminding myself of why I started running, cycling, and other crazy active adventures.
My thoughts go to my family. My friends, people I love and care about that are fighting daily battles with health and life.

Keep running.

I start to get emotional in my head. I pull it together and think of how great I feel. Okay so I may lie to myself a bit. Truth be told, I did feel great. I was out here doing it. What more could a person ask for?

Keep Running

Mile 11- I am tired, I see my 2:30 pace sign go by, I was so good to hold them off until now. I think to myself “I can’t keep up this pace”. I am upset with myself. I got to walk/run in small bits. I was HOPING for a 2:30 time, but as the sign goes off in the distance I want to cry. I am hitting my wall.
Keep running. Break down the wall

Mile 12—My head starts playing games with me, I am asking myself “does that mean 12th and 13th mile left? 1 more mile? 2 more miles? 12 more miles?” yeah, I am spent. It is amazing how your head plays games on you. Normally I love numbers, math, playing with numbers almost constantly in my head. But now I cannot comprehend what this 12 sign means for my 13.1 mile run.

Keep running.

Mile 13—Oh, I know this game, I learned it last time I was here. The finish line seems right up around the next turn, it’s not, nor the next, nor the next. I am prepared. Prepared to keep running

Oh damn, a man collapsed less than 100 feet from the finish, that sucks. When I come by I see the EMT’s working on him. He is not good. Kind of a bummer thing to see, he is certainly unconscious, and in bad shape. I later learned the doctors were incubating him right there on the street, not a good thing at all.

Keep running.

Finish strong.

I go for my finish line sprint, yeah not happening, I ran in with all I had.

I cross the finish line to look at my watch 2:30:12. REALLY???!!!

I think to myself “HOLY SHIT! I DID IT!” Plus I don’t feel like barfing. AWESOME!!!

My new PR for a half marathon!!!

As I milled around the finish line, looked around the crowd my mind settled in again to my motivation. I did this today because others can’t.

Then I wanted to barf. Thankfully I never did.


Here is me and my high school friend and event cheerleader Kara at the finish line

Next event, Boulder Half Marathon in March.