Monday, October 6, 2008

“If you don’t vote you can’t bitch”

That has always been the saying my parents raised me with and I have taken to heart in my adult life. Voting has always been a big deal to me, I specifically remember going to register to vote on my 18th birthday. It is a big deal to me. My grandmother told me stories of when women were not allowed to vote. She came of voting age right around the time the 19th amendment was passed.

I have never been one to push others to vote. I just repeat my voting mantra. A while ago, in a political debate with a person close to me who will remain anonymous, they told me they never voted.

”What?!?! Are you f’ing kidding me?” I thought in my head, maybe with a few more adjectives, but only expressed the “What?!?!” part verbally. Maybe a little more was expressed, however I kept the expletives to myself.

I then stated: “If you don’t vote you can’t bitch”—the debate was ended, in my mind, I won.

Yesterday they registered to vote. Without any provoking from me.

Bring on the political debates, although we have very similar political views so the debates are more Political discussions…

Today is the deadline in Colorado to register to vote. Just a friendly reminder…

2 comments:

LBB said...

You are so right ("if you don't vote, don't bitch...")! My great grandmother was a suffragette (sp?)and I take great pride in her every time I caste a ballot.

I have got to say that that Palin woman scares me.

Vargasgirl said...

If my memory serves me correctly, since our birthdays are the same--Didn't we go register to vote togther? For some reason I am thinking so. Of course ditching school to do so... :)