Friday, June 27, 2008

MS150 2008

For more than 10 years I have been actively involved with the National MS society. I have attended many walks, both as a volunteer and a walker. Tomorrow I am participating in my second MS bike ride, peddling my happy ass over 150 miles in the span of two days.

Multiple Sclerosis is a nasty disease that affects people near and dear to me. For me to ride my bike for two days is nothing like the challenges I see people I care about deal with every day of their lives. Challenges that most times go unnoticed because they battle silently and strongly while living lives that make people envy them unbeknownst of the struggles they face, with a disease that attacks people in the prime of their lives. For this, it seems almost selfish I get to do something I love (ride my bike), to raise awareness and money for this cause.

The weekend schedule is:

Tonight: Drive to Boulder tonight to stay at E’s best friend’s house. (Thanks E and J for letting us crash at your pad )

Tomorrow:
Wake up at 4:30
Get to start in Westminster around 5am
Get set up, check in over night bag to go to Fort Collins by truck, eat. Wake up.

6:00 am: Start peddling

Pedal some more

Have a snack

Pedal

Eat a snow cone at Carter lake (I hope the snow cone stop is there again this year)

Pedal

Pedal

Pedal

(you get the point—maybe have a snack or two)

Arrive in Fort Collins, high five my brother as he is volunteering on the route.

Ride onto campus of my alma mater (CSU).

Collect overnight bag, ride to parents house… Drink Margaritas on newly constructed deck…Go to sleep

Sunday:
Repeat Saturday’s adventure in reverse. Minus the margarita. That would not the be the way to start the ride on Sunday morning—Instead move margarita consumption to my porch on Sunday evening after I retrieve my dog from doggy camp.

To all my friends and family that donated to me for this ride I thank you more than you know! Without the support of you all I would not have been able to raise the money required to participate in this ride, and with each pedal stroke I’ll know your contributions are getting us that much closer to finding a cure for this horrendous disease.


Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

No comments: