Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wrongly Convicted?

Today Tim Masters has been released from prison on his life sentence for the murder of Peggy Hettrick almost 21 years ago.
You can read the story here

This murder happened in my hometown, on the eve of my 15th birthday. The body was discovered in a field blocks from my fathers house on the morning of my birthday. It was the first murder I remember really paying attention too. It hit close to home, the main suspect in the case was a boy I went to school with. I did not know him, I only knew of him. I guess like everyone else I had always thought him to be guilty. By our justice system we are supposed to believe people are innocent until proven guilty. I was 15, I was believing all the rumors I heard. Today I am questioning myself because I guess I still remember those rumors, all the talk, the friend of my sister, whose uncle was on the police force, that knew someone that saw… you get the idea. I am questioning also the media. What more of this story does the public not know? I can’t help but wonder…

1 comment:

Nuclear Mom said...

I wonder why I do not remember this. This was about 7 months after we moved to FC. And he went to school with us? Of course by then I still didn't know hardly anyone being new and all.

Interesting.