Tuesday, January 15, 2008

13.1


I did it! I completed my first half-marathon.
I did it in 2:46 and would I do it again? oh hell yes!
E completed his marathon in 4:14.
Have either of us walked normally since crossing the finish line? NOPE!!!

We spent a total of 26 hours in Phoenix, here is what we did (in order):
Drove into town
Went to the expo, got our bib's, shirts, shwag etc
drove to the start and finish lines to get an idea what we were doing the next day (started questioning what we got ourselves into and our sanity)
Ate a deliciouse Olive Garden dinner with LOTS of pasta (YUM!) and MORE Pasta
Went to sleep
Woke up at 4:30am
Ate a banana, yogurt and dry bagel
Got on bus to the start line
Stood around and shivered until the sun came up
Marathon took off at 7:40am
I stretched, shivered, stretched, stood under a heat lamp and got ready for my race
Half marathon start gun went off at 8:30am
Mooooved up to the start line with 20,000 of my newest friends
Crossed the start line at 9:10am
Ran,
Ran,
Ran some more...
add a little walking in here too
Crossed the finish line
Stumbled around for a minute.
Got my medal
Ate some salty food, rested...
walked back to the van, changed out of sweaty clothes
Caught up with E
Took a short nap
Ate a pizza
drove home (with a short detour in Santa Fe to Trader Joes to replenish Cheapo wine stash)

The only thing I would do differently next time is schedule a massage right after the race, spend the evening after the race soaking in a tub, and resting instead of driving.

6 comments:

Nuclear Mom said...

YAY!! I am so proud of you!!!

Ok, Bloomsday 2009... be there. Or I mean, be here and we will go there. Or whatever, we will figure it out.

Nuclear Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vargasgirl said...

Remember how we felt after we ran Bay to Breakers in 2001? That is almost like what my legs felt like on Monday. I thought of you :)
What is Bloomsday?!?! I am intrigued! Email me, or I'll email you...

Nuclear Mom said...

Yes!

(Oh and the deleted post was a weird duplicate of mine.)

Outdoorgirl said...

Congragulations!!!!!

Happy Sock said...

WAY TO GO!