Thursday, October 11, 2007

Corporate Girl

As much as I may have denied it in my past, I have come to terms with, and quite comfortably, I may add, that I am a Corporate Girl or a Business Woman through and through. Considering I am in my tenth year of working in the corporate world, it may seem odd I am just now really embracing this (again). For many years I struggled with this and strived to escape corporate life. I could go on a long description of my career history up to this point. Let’s just spare you the reader, gory details and leave it at--- it was not pretty. Today, I embrace it and look forward to the challenges that lay ahead.

I was talking to my boss today about some of the challenges I am having with my new team. I expect bumps in the road, and these challenges I am experiencing I could have predicted before I stepped into my new role. I have been in my new position for just over a month now. I am not here to make new friends; I am here to deliver a product to our customer, at a value that we as a company (the one I work for) makes money and our customer sees value in our services. I am not here to make everyone happy all the time. If you state that you will deliver something to me or another person on our team, I will hold you accountable for that. This philosophy is not making me many friends in the short term. On the same note, I feel I am being fare, professional and trying to show people I am doing the best job I can. As much as I hold people accountable, I do so with myself also. Being a team lead means just that to me, leading a team. Not managing.

I am hoping in time I will prove myself and gain the respect among my team. I know I am on the right path because I have had feedback from both my manager, PM’s and ADM that we are making our customer happy and the account team have seen a change for the positive in the past month. I would like to think that I am making an impact. We shall see.

No comments: