Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Random Adventure: Weekend in Fargo, ND

I left Colorado in one of our infamous spring snow storms. The kind that dump multiple inches of wet, slushy snow that our dry earth soaks up and wants more. Unfortunately this is not fun to drive in and I almost wrecked my car on the way to Denver International Airport. Whew, glad I didn’t, thank goodness I have mad winter driving skillz—thanks dad! After a delay or two I was able to board my plane and sit on the runway. By the time we were de-iced, and ready for take-off it was the same time we should have been landing in Fargo. Luckily we had an uneventful flight at 1:20am we landed. Jason gets Rockstar Points for staying awake almost 24 hours and still greeting me with Bubble Yum, Green Tea and a welcoming smile at 1:30 in the morning. Fargo has great wildlife in the airport to greet you while you claim your baggage, here is my new friend the buffalo. (He likes it when I pet his bum) Saturday Jason gave me the local’s tour of Fargo, we went to the worlds largest sporting goods store, where they had a Ferris wheel inside among other activities like this shooting game.
Me with a gun (even if it is a toy) is like handing a Trig Calculator to a St. Bernard. What the heck am I supposed to do with this? We visited the Hjemkomst Center, and admired the Hopperstad Stave Church Replica…Very cool! We took a side trip up to Detroit Lakes Minnesota to see Jason’s home town, visit with his friends and meet his godson Hunter (what a little charmer). Then we ventured to see if the lake was thawed enough for some kayaking, it wasn’t. So instead we went to eat Nachos… My Godzilla impression over the nachos… Sunday we spent riding bikes around Fargo, taking a helicopter ride over the flood area, and general playing around including my first geocache experience. I recently learned that my grandparents met in Fargo. It was neat for me to be in the historic area of town and imagine my grandparents being in the same place so many years ago. Like the historic movie theater. I am HUGE in Fargo! And strong... Before this weekend I always thought of Fargo, ND as cold and boring. After this weekend I have to say “Notsomuch”. It is a lovely little city with great parks, lots of areas to ride bikes and some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. Fargo get a big high five and a circus act rating from me! Also, huge props to my friend Jason for being such an excellent host and tour guide!!! You are a Rockstar!!! I never dreamt that switching seats on a plane could lead to so much fun and future adventures.

No comments: