Friday, May 7, 2010

By Popular Demand: RUMCAKE!

(Editor note: I wrote ths blog a couple of months ago after returning from my trip to Culebra. I have withheld posting it until I had photos to match. By a little proding from an old friend across the pond, I am posting this without photos so Val can make some rumcake)

A few years ago, I found a rumcake recipe online that I tried, loved, shared and accepted all rave of all my friends saying it was the best Rumcake they EVER had. This includes my ex semi-expat parents that spend a better part of a decade as Antiguan residents. Let’s just say, my family knows good Rumcake when they have it. And I make a MEAN Rumcake.

The recipe I used and pretty much still follow came from Pioneer Woman. I change some of the technique’s some. But I don’t want to completely plagiarize her recipe.

Recently I traveled to a small island off the coast of Puerto Rico to lay to rest my dear Aunt Judy that passed away rather un-expectantly. Aunt Judy was known for a lot of things, speaking her mind, causing a social ruckus and baking a mean Rumcake. In fact her cakes were famous, if you ate a Rumcake on Culebra, more than likely you were eating my Aunt Judy’s Rumcake. She supplied them to all the restaurants on the island. Her Rumcakes had been written up multiple times in travel magazines.

I regret I never got down to Culebra to visit my Aunt and have her Rumcake. In fact I was supposed to go for my first visit this month. That’s Aunt Judy for you, Leave the party early and forget to say good-bye.

When I arrived in Culbra, after settling down for the evening, my cousin Tracy (who I secretly think is really an older sister since we are so similar in soo many ways) asked me “Want to make one of Mom’s Rumcakes?”

Oh hell yes!!! (I really wanted to spy the recipe)

Imagine my shock when I saw the recipe and discovered it is the same as mine?

I could be selfish and keep it as my own, but that is not my family’s way. I will continue the family tradition and sell the Rumcakes whenever I can, but I won’t hesitate to share the recipe either.

By the way if you’re too lazy to bake this yourself, I will do it for you and sell it for $25. I am still trying to figure out shipping so unfortunately you need to be local at this time for me to deliver it.

Okay, so enough of the bibble babble, let’s get to the RUMCAKE!

First you will need GOOD rum, I personally like Cruzan Coconut Rum. Aunt Judy Swears you need Bacardi Dark Rum. Who am I to argue with Aunt Judy? Use the Bacardi for this recipe, okay?

As for the cake mix, but a yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix. This saves you from having to add a box of pudding, plus again it is one of the few discrepancies between AJ and I. I am going for her rules, so do it!

RumCake:
1 Box Yellow cake Mix (pudding in the mix)—If you can’t find this kind, buy a box of instant vanilla pudding to add.
4 eggs
½ cup cold water
½ cup canola oil
½ cup rum
1 cup chopped pecans

Glaze:
1 ½ cups REAL butter
¼ cup water
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cups Rum

Preheat Oven to 325 degrees

Grease a Bundt pan with either flour and butter (if you still do that)—or cheat with cooking spray. I use the non-stick cooking spray.

Place the chopped pecans around the bottom of the greased pan and set aside

In a big mixing bowl (I use my Kitchenaid, AJ used a bowl and a hand mixer—either is fine. Mix all the cake ingredients and mix on low speed until blended, then turn up the speed to medium and mix it all up for 2 minutes.

Pour the batter in the Bundt pan, pop in preheated oven, and cook for 1 hour. Until cake is done.

You all know how to test when a cake is done, right? (Stick a toothpick in it and see if it comes out clean. In this case, use a bamboo skewer. You’ll use that skewer later so don’t trash it.

Are you sipping rum right now? You should be, but slow it down partner, we have some serious cooking yet to do!

After you remove the cake from the oven. Set it on a cooling rack to cook, come back and using a rubber spatula gently release it from the edges of the pan as it cools. When you feel daring, put a plate on top of cake and flip upside down to take it out of the pan and let cool on a plate. Don’t be afraid, but don’t be too daring either.

Now we stab the cake, take that skewer and poke, poke poke the cake all over. This will allow the delicious glaze we are about to make places to go in the cake. Go ahead…keep skewering the cake…

Okay once the cake has been perfectly perforated, place the pan back over the cake and reverse the flip method so it is back in its pan. Skewer the ‘top’ of the cake some more. Set aside.

Now for the fun part…THE GLAZE!

Measure out Rum, place to the side.

In a medium saucepan melt the butter, sugar and water.

Heat over medium heat, constantly stirring. Bring it to a boil. Still stirring constantly, boil for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove from heat and add rum.
Watch out when you add the rum and stir, it will cause a commotion in the pan and it may startle you.

Now is the process to slooooowly pour the glaze over our (upside down, still in the pan) cake.

Pour a cup of the glaze into a measuring cup you are able to pour form, easily.

Slooooowly drizzle the glaze over the top, around the sides, towards the center of the cake. You may need to take small breaks to make sure it all absorbs. Pour pour pour. Once all poured, walk away for a little bit (30 minutes to an hour)

Come back, once again, place serving plate on top of cake, and flip it. It should pop out beautifully.

VIOLA!

RUMCAKE! If your not too drunk from sampling the glaze and sipping rum, cut yourself a piece and enjoy. Even if you are drunk, you probably need some food by now. So eat up!

Served with coffee this makes a wonderful breakfast (in my opinion)

No comments: