Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lessons Learned:

This past weekend while competing in my first Olympic length triathlon followed up by a marathon relay race two days later I learned some very good lessons when it comes to completion, personal fitness and performance.

1) When I think I am hydrated, drink more water
2) Carb loading really doesn’t need to begin 72 hours prior, 24 hours would have been fine. Eating too much the day before a race can be as bad as not eating enough. Next time, do not eat a large lunch and dinner the day before the race
3) The glass of red wine the night before was perfectly acceptable, as learned a few weeks before, the vodka martini is not.
4) Breakfast 3 hours before my start time was key.
5) Be at the pool and ready to go 45 minutes before my start time. Many people missed their starts, pushing up start times
6) Swimming with cold muscles in a very warm pool is HARD
7) I need to get my body used to running on concrete in the middle of the day.
8) Running at noon is a completely different story than running at 5 am or 7 pm
9) Next year I will go out the evening before and stash, non-cold water.
10) I have amazingly supportive friends and parents.
11) The Circle R motel in Salida is a great little place to rest ones weary head. The owners Pam and Lee are some of the nicest folks that you will meet.
12) I need new gear: A new bike and Tri suit to be exact if I am going to continue down this crazy path.
13) Triathletes are some of the nicest, coolest people out there. We’re all nuts!

I still have my heart set on doing a triathlon with two of my best friends, Amy and April. That’s right girls, I have my eyes on YOU!
April, there is a fun Iron Girl sprint in las Vegas that I think would be a blast, plus easy for us each to get too. I think it is in the spring time.
Amy, next year, you + me + Salida = FUN!!!

2 comments:

Two Wheeled World said...

Tri geeeeeek!

Nuclear Mom said...

You rock! I am so proud of you.

It is my goal to do a tri someday. I will do it!